Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Running Workout 4: Pole Run

This is a workout I like to do outside when I get totally bored with running, or I am having a hard time getting myself motivated to go out and run. Good news, no watch required!

First, pick your favorite running course, but make sure it has a lot of telephone poles.

Warm-up:
10-15 minutes

Main Set:
Run hard ever other telephone pole... that's it. In between the running hard, run easy to the next telephone pole. When you run hard run at your goal race pace (see my earlier post "My 2 Cents on Race Pace" for idea about what this is). Do this for as long as you can stand it, or vary your running efforts. Thus, you can run hard for three telephone poles and run easy for one telephone pole, etc. You can also use trees, signs, etc. for additional markers. As long as the markers are periodic and numerous, this workout will work.

Cool Down:
Easy jog for a mile or two

P.S.
This is nothing more than a speed workout in disguise. Don't worry about what your watch is telling you. Just focus on your effort during the 'on' intervals.

No comments:

Post a Comment